Saturday, May 11, 2013

How to 3rd Wheel in Style

If you've ever felt like a third wheel, fear not! You are not alone. "3rd-wheeling," as I affectionately call it, sort of holds a negative reputation. And honestly, I don't blame people for buying into the idea that is impossible to have friends who are dating or married.
I mean, I believed it too. All year long. Ok, maybe my whole life.
The point is, it is possible to have a good time while 3rd-wheeling.
However, this skill must be learned.

So although you may have this extremely painful mental image when I mention the term "third wheel," let's try for a second to push that stereotype out of the mind and attempt to appear in a fresh field of poppies.


There we go. Now we can officially start.

Friends, 3rd-wheeling doesn't have to be a trip on a greyhound bus.
It can be a joyride in a red convertible.

In fact, 3rd-wheeling can be pretty enjoyable if done right. Take it from a girl who has her honorary doctorate in the field of 3rd-wheeling. I even almost accomplished 5th-wheeling (this one takes a little bit more concentration and tact).....


See the girl on the left? That's my best friend.
See the guy on the right? That's my other good friend.
They're dating. I was the matchmaker.

See that person in the middle? That's me.

This, my friends, is the portrait epitomizing the art of 3rd-wheeling.
It is, in fact, an art.

Honestly, it's not like any typical art form such as painting, dancing or acting, but it does share one quality as the previously mentioned: it all stems from the mind.
If you think you're having a bad time, then you will.
If you think it's going to be awkward, it will be.
If you think you don't matter, you won't.

Really, the issue is, attitude.  (which I typically find to be the key to almost everything).

Now, most people that would see that picture would laugh. Or maybe pity me. I would prefer you to laugh. Because it is funny. I'm sitting there cheezing in the background.
Do you know why I'm cheezing?
Because I had fun with these two.
Because I love that my friends are happy together.
Because I am assured that they both will take care of each other.
Because God has allowed them to have a relationship that is glorifying to Him.
Because I love that God allowed me to be a part of it.

I'm cheezing because God has blessed them and, by association, I am blessed as well! Their relationship is a blessing to me.

Hey look! We're all cheezing!
That's the thing, friends.  
Other people's joys should be the LAST thing to make us miserable.
It's one thing if the couple is awkward and inappropriate (oh, don't you worry, I have many words for those couples...), but it's another thing when you just have friends who simply are moving onto a different stage of life and have been called by God in that direction.

Who are we to complain about other people's blessings?
We are overlooking the example that the godly couples are setting for us. If you have those unawkward, godly couples in your life- thank them. Don't scorn them for their joy.

Also, have fun with 3rd-wheeling! If they aren't on a date, then join them ;]. They still need other friends too! Adventures are most definitely more fun in groups.
Also, you get to be awarded with capturing some pretty awesome moments for these folks.



Photo props to Heather for this picture
Let's face it, folks-- it's not really about us. Even though we always think it is, it's not.
Be a blessing to someone else for a change and as a result, blessings will come.

Let others be joyful, and jump on the joy ride. God provides true joy, so don't let the awkward 3rd-wheel stereotype stifle the godly relationships around you.



For a short anecdote I wrote about a year and a half ago on being a 3rd wheel, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment